This writerly recap is Very Late, but thanks so much for being here and reading this!
- If you want to hear from me on a more regular basis, you can support me on Patreon and get access to special content there. (If you’re not familiar with Patreon, find out more here: What Is Patreon?)
- You can also get future writerly recaps as a newsletter: subscribe here.
The BIG News!
My short story collection Six Dreams About the Train and Other Stories is out now from Trepidatio Publishing!
The amazing cover art was created by Dan Noble (of Rooster Republic Press) and Scarlett R. Algee (at Trepidatio Publishing).
My latest roundups & reviews
- I have a new website for my short fiction roundups and book reviews: Maria’s Reading. I’ve moved a lot of old short fiction roundups there to make a place where all my roundups, from 2016 and onwards, can be accessed.
- Read my monthly short fiction roundups at Maria’s Reading.
- Read my book reviews at Maria’s Reading.
- The audio versions of my monthly roundups are available on YouTube!
My latest quarterly roundups at Strange Horizons:
- Short Fiction Treasures June 2021
- Short Fiction Treasures March 2021
- Short Fiction Treasures January 2021
Stories in the wild
- My new fantasy story WHEN RESIN BURNS TO TAR is now available to read in the anthology Seasons Between Us: Tales of Identities and Memories from Laksa Media. Print copy (including Large Print) is available at Amazon, and ebooks on Amazon, Apple iBooks, B&N/Nook, and Kobo.
- My story MOTHERS, WATCH OVER ME was a staff pick at Cast of Wonders!. Listen to the story. narrated by Amy H. Sturgis, This story appeared in a Cast of Wonders episode in February, 2020 and was first published in Mythic Delirium.
- My story CLEAVER MEAT AND BLOCK is at PseudoPod, wonderfully narrated by Larissa Thompson. Listen. This story was originally published in Black Static #73 and that issue is available in digital format from Weightless Books and Amazon.
- My story SEVEN KINDS OF BAKED GOODS has been translated into Japanese and is available in Night Land Quarterly #24. This story was first published in the anthology Just Desserts and later reprinted in Luna Station Quarterly. There is also an audio version at The Overcast.
- My story IT BEGINS IN THE GARDEN is available in Fusion Fragment #7. It was originally published in Aliterate.
- In late January, I read a story for the Ephemera Reading Series. It’s available on YouTube.
- Late last year, I did a story reading for The Story Hour. Watch / listen.
News, mentions & upcoming publications
- The Best Horror of the Year Vol. 13 (edited by the legendary Ellen Datlow) will include my story CLEAVER, MEAT, AND BLOCK, first published in Black Static #73. The anthology is out in November and is available for preorder now. At that link, you can also see the awesome cover by Reiko Murakami. This is an amazing honour, and I am absolutely thrilled to bits that my zombie-apocalypse-aftermath story was chosen by Ellen Datlow.
- My story SIX DREAMS ABOUT THE TRAIN will be reprinted in the Best Small Fictions 2021 anthology. It’s out in October, and you can see the cover reveal from Sonder Press on Facebook.
- I’m a finalist for an Ignyte Award in the Critics category for the second year in a row. I’m in amazing company and extremely happy that my work has received this kind of recognition. Read more on my website.
- Paul Jessup included my story CLEAVER, MEAT, AND BLOCK in his February short fiction roundup for Vernacular Books.
- I took part in a writer’s roundtable at Gwendolyn Kiste’s website. It’s in four parts: part 1 / part 2 / part 3 / part 4.