It’s been a hectic few months with holidays, and writing, and translation work, and what-not, but here we are and it’s 2020.
- It’s still awards-season, and all my eligible stories are in my 2019 Eligibility Post.
- As always, you can support me on Patreon and get access to special content there. (If you’re not familiar with Patreon, find out more here: What Is Patreon?)
- You can also find me on Curious Fictions and support my work there.
- You can sign up for my Mostly Harmless Newsletter. (It’s basically this roundup, sent out every other month.)
My latest reviews and roundups
- My December short fiction roundup at Curious Fictions.
- My January short fiction roundup at Curious Fictions.
- The audio versions of my monthly roundups are available on YouTube!
- My review of THE FOUR PROFOUND WEAVES, by R.B. Lemberg.
- I was one of several people that helped put together the 2019 Locus Recommended Reading List, and it includes some great speculative fiction.
- My own 2019 Recommended Reading List is available here on my blog.
Stories in the wild
- My story “Cleaver, Meat, and Block” is now available in Black Static #73. Buy the issue from TTA Press / Amazon / B&N. Or subscribe to the print edition / subscribe to the digital edition at Weightless Books.
- My story “Mothers, Watch Over Me”, originally published in Mythic Delirium, is now at Cast of Wonders, wonderfully narrated by Amy H. Sturgis. Listen to it. Support EA Podcasts.
- My story “The Wayfinder and His Sister” is now available in the anthology Young Explorer’s Adventure Guide Volume 6. (Originally published at Cast of Wonders). Amazon / Barnes & Noble / Apple iBooks / Kobo
- My story “Deepster Punks” is now available in the anthology A Punk Rock Future. Buy from Amazon. / Buy from B&N. / Buy from Indiebound.
- Dark Flash 4, a collection of my flash fiction stories from The Word Count Podcast in 2019, is now available from Amazon / Smashwords / Barnes & Noble / Apple Books / Kobo
- My flash story “Good Girl” was read, live!, by the awesome Katherine Inskip from Escape Podcasts at PodUK2020. It will be appearing on future episode of PseudoPod later this year.
- Listen to my flash fiction story “Maze and Buttons“, written for R.B. Wood’s Word Count Podcast.
Bits & Bobs
- I will be writing a short fiction roundup for Strange Horizons! I’m very excited about this new opportunity to share the love for speculative short fiction, and so honoured to be part of such a great zine.
- I will be writing a novella for my Patreon, and publish it there as a serial. The installments will be available for all supporters from the $1 tier and up. You can read all about, and sign up!, on Patreon.
- I love this illustration by Vincent Sammy that goes with my story “Cleaver, Meat, and Block” in Black Static. It captures the vibe and mood of the story so perfectly.
Story sales & a reprint
- Flash Fiction Online picked up my story “Silver and Shadow, Spruce and Pine”. It will be appearing there at a later date.
- My fantasy story “When Resin Burns to Tar” will be appearing later this year in the anthology Seasons Between Us from Laksa Media. I wrote this story specifically for this anthology last year, and a full TOC announcement will be coming from the publisher later this spring.
Reviews & mentions
- My story “Deepster Punks” from A Punk Rock Future was included on the 2019 BSFA Awards longlist. This is a huge honour and I am so very grateful and thrilled!
- “Cleaver, Meat, and Block” from Black Static #73 is one of several “must-read” stories in Alex Brown’s monthly short fiction roundup at TOR.com.
- My story “Cleaver, Meat, and Block” also received favourable reviews at SFRevu and Des Lewis Gestalt Real-Time Reviews.
- My story “The Brightest Lights of Heaven” was included on 1000 Year Plan’s list of The Best Short Dark Fantasy/Horror Fiction of 2019
- My story “Clear as Quartz, Sharp as Flint” was included on 1000 Year Plan’s list of The Best Short Fantasy Fiction of 2019