Hi everyone, and welcome to another bi-monthly newsletter!
Summer is fast approaching, and I’ve been busy reading and writing as usual. I also launched my Patreon – come join me and pick a tier / tree! (If you’re not familiar with Patreon, find out more here: What Is Patreon?) I am also posting stories at Curious Fictions.
- You can support me on Patreon and get access to special content for patrons there. If you want to support my work as a reviewer and writer of speculative fiction, I’d love to see you there. There are different tiers with different rewards, and everyone gets to be a tree!
- You can also find me on Curious Fictions and support my work there.
- You can sign up for my Mostly Harmless Newsletter, if you like. (It’s basically this roundup, sent out every other month.)
My latest columns at B&N SciFi & Fantasy
- My April short fiction roundup.
- My May short fiction roundup.
- My review of Stranger Things: Darkness On the Edge of Town by Adam Christopher.
- My roundup of 17 great speculative fiction anthologies to celebrate Short Story Month.
Short story roundups & reviews on my blog:
Stories in the wild
- “Clear As Quartz, Sharp As Flint” is available in issue 2.1 of Augur Magazine. Read an excerpt. Buy the issue or subscribe.
- “Mother’s Love” is at Cast of Wonders, narrated by Tanja Milojevic. This story was one of the runners-up in CoW’s Flash Fiction Contest last year. Listen to the episode. / Support the podcast on Patreon.
- “The Guitar Hero”, originally published in Kaleidotrope, is at Podcastle, narrated by Setsu Uzume. Listen to the episode. / Support the podcast on Patreon.
- I’ve made my story “Three Pieces of Gold, Three Pieces of Silver” (originally published in the print-only anthology Heroines) available at Curious Fictions and to Patreon supporters. ($1 gets you the story!). Read it at Curious Fictions. Read it on Patreon. Buy the print anthology Heroines from Neo Perennial Press.
- A reminder! My science fiction story “And You Shall Sing to Me a Deeper Song” is in Interzone #280. Buy the issue from TTA Press (print and ebook) / Weightless Books (ebook) / Amazon (print and ebook). It also has a wonderful illustration by Martin Hanford!
- My story “Big Bad” was the featured story at Curious Fictions on May 2nd. Read it here. (It was originally written for The Word Count Podcast.)
- Read, or listen to, my new flash fiction story “Knock Knock“, written for R.B. Wood’s Word Count Podcast.
- Listen to my new flash fiction story “After the Fall”, written for R.B. Wood’s Word Count Podcast.
- My story “The Wayfinder And His Sister” (originally published by Cast of Wonders) will appear in the anthology Young Explorer’s Adventure Guide, Volume Six from Dreaming Robot Press.
- The anthology A Punk Rock Future (with my story “Deepster Punks”) is now available for pre-order from Amazon. Release date is October 8th, 2019.
Reviews & mentions
- 1000 Year Plan picked my story “Clear As Quartz, Sharp As Flint” as a must-read in April. Read the review.
- Author Vanessa Fogg picked my story “A Strange Heart, Set in Feldspar” at PseudoPod (originally published in the anthology Abandoned Places) as one of her recommended stories in April. Read her recommendations.
- Author Meg Elison mentioned my story The Guitar Hero at Podcastle (originally published in Kaleidotrope) in her reading recommendations for April in Antler Review. Read it.
- The anthology Tales From Alternate Earths got a lovely review at Lunarian Press, including a lovely mention of my story “Tunguska, 1987”. Read the review.
- In Locus, Karen Burnham reviews the “Beyond Death” issue of See The Elephant from Metaphysical Circus Press, and mentions my story “Margaery the Wolf”. She also recommends Vajra Chandrasekera’s story “Mulch” from the same issue! Read the review.
Bits & bobs
- Above is the beautiful story art that will go with my story “Stars Above, Shadows Beneath” the anthology Tales of Magic and Destiny from Inklings Press.
- The cover for Tales of Magic and Destiny has also been revealed. Take a look!